Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Ahh... Yes.

So I'm back.

Indeed, my blog's been neglected. For quite a while. Didn't even indicate that I had, in fact, returned from Sydney.

But I have. Returned from Sydney to Singapore (where I had quite a wild 4 weeks). And then returned from Singapore to Aberdeen - with mixed feelings.

Yay-ness


  • Checked in 33kg of luggage without being charged (allowance was 23kg)
  • Sat next to un-annoying people on board the plane, although the situation was a bit uncertain during the first 20mins. Man on left of me couldn't find his passport and wanted to get off the plane to look for it but he couldn't find his boarding pass either and was therefore not allowed to disembark. Man got increasingly agitated and kept mumbling profanities under his breath. Oh well, turned out he's got a doctorate in political science and is a lecturer in a well known English University. One can never tell...

  • Accommodation officers remembered to leave my keys at the security desk for me, thereby saving me from freezing out in the streets

  • Came back to find my bedsheets have been changed and new towels laid out for me. Room service! =)

  • Customs don't work on new year's day? Luggage wasn't screened and inspected. And therefore contraband not confiscated.



Sian-ness

  • Boring movies on the plane

  • No champagne to celebrate new year on the plane (Pilot: Thank you for choosing to fly with us over the new year. --> Only hint that the people in BA/Qantas are aware that it was the new year. No extra smiles for the special occassion.)

  • Plane landed late at Heathrow Terminal 4 @ 0600. Plane to Aberdeen leaving Heathrow Terminal 1 @ 0655. Gate closes at 0635. My first run of the year.

  • Leaving Singapore. Leaving friends and family and dog behind.

  • Delayed luggage - and then damaged luggage.

  • Arriving on New Year's Day - Taxi fare was 1.5 times metered rate.

  • Short days. In fact, sun didn't come out today. Walked to work in the dark, walked home in the dark. Beware Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

  • Recieved letter from HM Revenue and Customs informing me of the amount of taxes I have to pay.

  • No internet at home

  • Dry lips, dry skin, dry hands, cracked feet



------------------------------



Question of the day (from a colleague):

Why, if you can work in Australia, would you even bother coming back here?

Which made me think: YAH, WHY AH?

But everything has it's time and place. And for now, my place is here.


------------------------------

I have to breathe and clear my mind.

It's very cluttered.

No comments: