Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Weekend in Durham, England - Part III

Final day in Durham!

Original plan: shopping in Newcastle, lunch in newcastle, catch the train back to Irvine.

Eventually, we skipped the shopping and went to visit the Angel of the North instead.


It's HUGE!




Can't really tell the size right?

Ok, here's to help you develop an idea of its relative size.

And it's time for lunch!

Went back to Durham for lunch at a Thai restaurant.

According to CJ, it's the best Asian restaurant in Durham.

I'm the guest so I wouldn't know if it's true or not.

Plus, CJ is a lawyer - wannabe gonnabe so who really knows if it's true!

Ok, but the food was good.

Thick rich coconut milk in the curry.

Spicy food with some semblence of authencity.

I liked it! =)



The restaurant sits on the side of a "river".

(CJ says it's a part of the sewage system)

But the view is great!



Right at the peak is the Durham Cathedral

Where prayer has been offered at the site for more than 1000 years

and the present building dates back to 1093.

I am told (no prizes for guessing who told me) that parts of Harry Potter was filmed inside this Cathedral.

Funny that.

When I went in, a priest promptly greeted me with:

No cameras in here, please.

------------------------------

After lunch, it was a mad dash back to the hostel where I picked up my bags and flew (we tried to, anyway) to the train station.

Arriving barely 5 minutes before the train came.

Close, very close.

Almost didn't make it because of the heavy traffic.

------------------------------

Fantastic weekend!

Thanx CJ!

Now it's my turn to prepare so that I can be a good host when CJ comes to Aberdeen in January (or so he says anyway). With lawyers, you never know...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog contains a lot of half truths... heheheheehe... all that reindeer and the size of the Angel... If I wasn't there... I just might... just might be fooled by you!

Anonymous said...

half truths?! HALF TRUTHS? What does THAT mean?! The size of the Angel is huge what!!!

Anonymous said...

haha....I believe Mae..By the way, Durham looks realli pretty...I hope I can go there when CJ is still studying there, so that he can entertain me...

To CJ: You need to improve on your dressing skills...hehe...