Friday, January 06, 2006

I Almost Got Myself Killed

Actually, a more accurate title for this post would be:

I almost killed myself.

The intent was boringly ordinary.

The consequences were potentially fatal.

It all started when I went to the cutlery rack next to the sink to get a fork for dinner...

As I pulled out a fork, a knife that was also drying in the rack got hooked up along the way.

As the knife flew through the air...

I instinctively reached out to grab it.





My fingers touched the tip of the blade but I was too slow.

Still functioning on auto-pilot, and watching the knife continue its way down to the ground...

I made another mistake.

I leaned forward to try to catch the knife between the cupboard and my stomach.




Surprisingly, I succeeded.

Without stabbing myself.

At this point, having stopped the knife and therefore ending the instinctive reaction,

intelligence comes to the forefront and organizes my thoughts.

First thought:
That was very dangerous.

Second thought:
I shouldn't have done that.

Immediate reaction:
Lean away from the cupboard to let the knife fall to the floor.

Did it ever occur to you that a knife free falling through the air is a very mesmerizing sight? All movie producers must have been on to this for the longest time... Just think of the numerous fighting/kung fu/mafia/samurai movies that has a scene of a glinting knife flying through the air, artfully reflecting the light from the flame of an oil lamp into a dazzling flash of white. But I digress...

Watching the knife fall to the floor,

my next immediate thought was:

Bloody hell! I'm wearing slippers!

(I'll ask you to be understanding and pardon my non-ladylike language. Because, you know, when one is in danger of having one's toes involuntarily amputated, it's kindda hard to simultaneously consider if one's language is socially acceptable. Moreover, here at missyminz.blogspot.com, accurate reporting and editorial integrity is of utmost importance.)



Miraculously
(yes, just now was surprising, but by this point, i think it's miraculous already)

and thankfully,

I am still unhurt.



Not my fingers.

Not my stomach.

Not my toes.



Some things I can attribute to luck.



But sometimes, I cannot deny the existence of God.

No comments: