Friday, November 18, 2005

End of Week 2

I’ve had a long week at work.

The work’s still enjoyable but I’ve had to get up earlier in the mornings because now I travel a little further to get to work. And I’m not a morning person.

Also, because I’m based in the community, specifically in 3 different GP clinics (haha… the irony of it all. I come here and work in a GP clinic!), there’s lots of traveling between the 3 areas to do home visits for patients. I don’t actually do any work in the car but it’s just tiring to travel, to get into the car (warm), get out of the car (cold), get into the house (warm), get out of the house (cold) etc.

Tired Me = Grumpy Me (all the more so because I can’t be grumpy at work)

Thankfully, I have a super-duper N-I-C-E supervisor. I have been very lucky actually. I have known of supervisors who weren’t very pleasant but so far, all my supervisors (my 7th one now) have been nice. She was on MC last week for a bad back. It’s actually not much better this week and she really should not be back at work but she is. Because of me. Bo pian… she gotta come back to work to supervise me.
She’s so incredibly open, forthcoming and friendly and it’s these that make her seem so “human” (opposed to “superior” because she’s my supervisor) and it makes her company so enjoyable that even during those long drives, there’s no awkwardness. She’s also got a very friendly husband, adorable (so so so so lovable!) 2-year old son and 2 yorkshire terriers. Yeah, I’ve met them all. Within 2 days… Haha…

Before I left for the weekend this afternoon, she said to me, “You’ve got my home and mobile numbers. If anything happens anytime and you need help or someone, just call. Alex and I both have cars and we’ll come to get you if you need us.”

Awwww... SO NICE RIGHT? What have I done to deserve a supervisor like that?

Ended the week with an afternoon with “Timothy”, going over some work that I did while I was under his supervision last week. There were lots to discuss and he ended up asking me to join him to go for an appointment to meet a patient in a café, so that we could continue the discussion in the car. Feel a bit guilty because “Shirley” is his actual student and she was supposed to go with him for the appointment. I “stole” her supervisor, her supervision time and her free cup of coffee! Tsk Tsk...

After the appointment, we went back to the hospital and I managed to catch up with “Shirley” on what we’ve each been up to. Sometimes, I go from patient to patient and they tell me so much information (from the trivial details of their lives to really major events) that I feel my head is going to burst. It felt good to be able to engage in informal conversation about random things (call it gossip, if you like) and also to share (within confidentiality guidelines) and “off-load” what happened over the week, without the pressure and expectation that we have to be the “sensible therapist” in the relationship and constantly replying in a way that provides “support and encouragement”.

When I came back to my flat, I found out that my flatmates were away for the weekend. Ah, good. Not that I don’t like them. I do. But solitude is much needed at this moment. =)

Also, I got an e-mail from Elli yesterday. She does make an effort to keep in contact with me and update me on what’s happening back in Aberdeen and with the rest of my flatmates. Thanks loads, Elli!

Then this evening, I got a sms from my neighbours from Aberdeen as well. Mac and Gorden (Flat 1), Nicola (Flat 3) and Jemma (Flat 4) sent me the sms JUST TO LET ME KNOW THAT I’M NOT FORGOTTEN and to find out how I’ve been getting on. I’m so very touched…

CJ called too and we had a nonsensical 40min conversation during which the 2 of us weren’t making much sense most of the time.

These things may seem insignificant but when one is far away from home, things take on a different perspective and each of these: my supervisor’s words, Elli’s email, my neighbours’ sms, and CJ’s call are very much appreciated. The weather may be cold but I’m feeling warm and fuzzy inside…

The week has rounded up nicely so I’m happy again!

No comments: