Thursday, November 03, 2005

An Error of Judgment... and a New Dish is Born!

When I was at home, I didn't cook very regularly. Usually only the odd instant noodles or pasta. But since I've been here, I've had to cook for myself... Bo pian, ya know?

Lots of people have been asking me: You can cook meh?

Eh... never cook doesn't mean can't cook ok?

In my opinion, I CAN cook (you can judge for yourself later on) and I've never had a major disaster that resulted in inedible food or food poisoning.

But I'm human... and humans make mistakes.

Last night, I decided to have fried rice (not so much that I wanted to eat fried rice but rather I have to clear the fridge before I leave).

All was going well until I decided the rice was too dry and I should add some water to it. Un-bloody-fortunately, I was distracted (thinking about what to pack/not to pack with me on my trip) and I added too much water... Result?

Mushy fried rice...

I'm not fussy when others cook for me. But I'm fussy when I cook for myself. One needs to have some standards...

But since I've got such fantastic culinary skills (haha!), I decided I can salvage my dinner.

WITH CHEESE

Final end product?

SUPER YUMMY BAKED RICE!!

The rest of this post features a shameless exhibition of my past culinary successes and is dedicated to my friends who think I cannot cook. Tsk tsk...

Pasta drizzled with cheese + salad

Grilled crispy fish + seafood soup

Haddock fish pan-fried with garlic and butter

(In case it's not obvious, I didn't make the sushi)

Stir-fried Kai Lan

(Kai Lan is super hard to find in Aberdeen)

Stir-fried beans/peppers/beef + tom yam soup

-Created with tom yam paste-

(Eh, don't say I cheat ah... I don't accept comments like that unless you're Lee Kum Kee)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey your food looks pretty gd..I can see that u ensured your food has lots of colour(to be pretty??!!)and that it is a well-balanced diet!! Good!! I tink ur cooking has surpassed mine,considering I have stayed overseas so much longer than u...haha...

Minz said...

You're right! I've got something for colourful food! =)