Sunday, October 23, 2005

Cinderella Goes To A Party

2 of my classmates (who live together) had a house-warming party last night. It was one of those strange houses where it was shaped like a laterally inverted “7”. So you knocked on the main door, walk up the stairs, walk through the corridor towards the right and the house is actually directly above the single-storey house that had its main door on the right of yours!

Yeah, very complicated. The closest example I can think of is Swenson’s at Holland Village.

I went with a couple of my classmates and one of their boyfriend and we rang at the wrong door (we heard music and chatter coming from upstairs so we thought aha! this should be the door – directly below) To our horror, when we rang the bell (this was at 9:30pm already), an old lady (she must have been 70 or older) opened the door.

If this happened back home, you think the old lady will scold you or not?

Very lucky for us then, that back home, we don’t have strange houses like this.

Anyway, surprisingly, the old lady didn’t scream at us. She just said: “You have 2 options. You can either come in and have tea with me or you can go to the party upstairs but you have to ring the bell next door.” And I bet we weren’t the first to make the mistake. Cool old lady… I hope she lives to a hundred because the world could do with people like that.

The people at the party were sorta grouped. People were mingling all around but basically, there were 2 groups of people: the girls (from occupational therapy), and the guys (from pharmacy). So it was pretty obvious who was from where...

Since it was after dinner time at night, there was no proper food except chips (although for students, chips are probably decent food) and vodka jelly. Drinks wise, they weren’t the sort you would drink all day long unless you were alcoholic… or Scottish… or Irish…

We all left at about 11:30 and some of them proceeded to town to the bar that’s operated by the university. I bet they went there to discuss homework. I wasn’t in the mood to discuss homework and since all pubs/bars close at 1am, I didn’t really see much of a point traveling down to town and back again for just 1+ hour.

Back to pubs closing at 1am, how early is that?! Our drinking culture is not even close to being as strong as theirs and our pubs close at 3am! But I was enlightened by a guy that it’s because they want to prevent violence. Apparently, a research has shown that Scottish guys are the most violent in the world when drunk. Hoho… I would like to see how this particular research was carried out…

So… I got back at 11:50pm. Just in time before the clock strikes 12 and Cinderella turns into a pumpkin…

Haha... Everybody tells me that Cinderella doesn’t turn into a pumpkin but it happened in the Cinderella I read!! And there were things like frogs and snails and witches… You think maybe it was the “Halloween’s version of Cinderella”?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are half a globe away?? sorry im this slow. take care of yourself over there!

Minz said...

Haha...yeap! I guess it can be considered half a globe away! It's ok.. I didn't announce that I was going away after all... yup, I'll take care! You too! Thanx...