Saturday, October 01, 2005

Random Snippets

The Busy Janitor

1 week's worth of recyclable trash

Flatmates and I finally decided it was time to bring the rubbish we had sorted and set aside for recycling to the recycling bin. The 4 of us walked 10 minutes to the nearest recycling point (which was next to the Faculty of Heath and Social Care) only to find the area locked for the weekend. Undeterred, we went to the “security” guard (in inverted commas because the security is a joke) to ask for the janitor to see if he would open the gate for us.

15 minutes later, while we were still waiting for the janitor, one of my lecturers walked by and spotted me (not very hard to spot an Asian in this environment) and casually asked what we were doing hanging around on a Saturday afternoon, just sitting on the benches and apparently doing nothing (eh? I thought it was perfectly common for people to sit on benches and do nothing in these parts of the world?!).

Anyway, the janitor chose this time to appear and said: “I’m a very busy man. I cannot open the gate just for you like this. You will have to wait until Monday.” With that 1 sentence, he turned and walked away.

So rude! I would have thought “I’m sorry I can’t open the gates” would have been sufficient. And now the word around the OT department would be that I have nothing better to do than sit around and wait for the gates to the recycling bins to be opened… Perhaps there would be more school work coming my way?

Red Cross

Submitted an online volunteer form to the British Red Cross today. I will now wait patiently for them to call me up for an interview. 12 years after I first joined the organization, it is no longer just an interest or merely volunteering.

It is a part of who I am.

No comments: