Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Heaven in Aberdeen

I discovered a tiny shop today. So small and inconspicous that it is practically obscured by its bigger and more brightly-lit neighbours.

I've renamed it "Heaven in Aberdeen" because its real name, although very appropriate, demonstrates a complete lack of imagination and does not accord sufficient respect to the goods it sells.

It's original name is "Halal Asian Food Store".

See what I mean???

Name aside, it's an absolutely fab store. It's as ordinary as any mama stall you find back home and therein lies its amazing attraction! It's a feeling that is so hard to describe, yet I'm sure is experienced by international students who are far far from home...

It was a feeling of *magic* to be surrounded by things you'll never even dream of seeing here: Maggi Mee, Tau-pok, Wan-ton, all sorts of Lee Kum Kee products, Agar-agar, chilli-padi, Milo and Nespray milk powder (?!!). I even found wasabi and seaweed here!

Wonderful right? Yeah... We'll leave it at that and not spoil the feeling of *magic* by discussing the prices...

--------------------------------------------------

Personal messages from the cute doggy's owner to:
Dor - Thanks for the phone call! The phone is a great invention, isn't it? It's time to start packing eh? Have a good trip to Can-land. Too bad Nick was not there yet, if not I'll get to speak to him too.. Incidentally, today you said "Call you before I mozzy off to Can-land" right? Go look at this: www.mozzyoff.co.uk Contains 100% natural products and so effective that the Scottish Forestry commission endorses it.

Godma - Thanks for your e-mail! My reply is on its way... HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

Verce (most recently self-proclaimed "reader-of-the-stars") - Haha.. I'm still amazed. This is why cannot talk bad about people even if you think they don't know hoh? You never know when they have some amazing out-of-this-world powers... So, tell me..

What say these stars?

Cheers!

No comments: